Friday, February 2, 2018

Thing 31 Advocacy-- #LEADOUTLOUD

Advocacy is something I am passionate about so I found this "THING" energizing.    Great resource page HERE.

As the self-proclaimed "inventor" of the #LEADOUTLOUD campaign for school librarians, I know first hand the importance of empowering OTHERS to help tell the story of your library.  

I read about many of the practices I embed into what I do and was reminded of new directions and strategies to consider in the area of ADVOCACY.

Even if you Google "Sue Kowalski and ADVOCACY" you will find multiple connections to my outreach and involvement on concept, best practices, and my passion for it!  

From the description of Jennifer LaGarde's (my personal superhero) webinar, it refers to areas as being an Advocate as one who will:  
  • "Achieve school-wide goals using your programs and collections
  • Position yourself as an instructional and pedagogical leader using today's social and mobile technologies, and
  • Make connections between school library programs and student learning, using library data."
I think this is one of the best overviews I've read...in a nutshell--that is what matters!  

GOALS:  I have made many inroads in ADVOCATING for the impact that a library and librarian can and do have on student success and community culture. The following strategies are central in my outreach:

  • Social Media--promote events, share gratitude, rally partnerships
  • Grants/Awards--apply to fund projects, travel and PD, grow the program
  • Outreach--newsletters, flyers, Google Classroom, press releases, webpages, visits, community organizations
  • Partnerships--teachers, families, students, iStaff, colleagues, organizations, committees
  • Professional leadership--membership, officer, committees, presenter, speaker, adjunct professor
BUT :  I need to have a more unified campaign in all my outreach-right now the only consistent thing I use is the hashtag #esmpgproud and #esmpgreads for our social media outreach.   Based on that, I am committed to:

  • LOGO/Tagline: to use on publications, digital outreach
  • SWAG:  to include the above and share in range of circles
  • MISSION STATEMENT:  to clearly define who we are as a program (especially as relates to maker movement. 
  • PUBLIC CALENDAR: to make it more accessible for all to see what is available 
ACTION PLAN:  Have all of the above READY to unveil in FALL 2018 with elements slowly released as finalized!  

And for inspiration..whether you love Lady Gaga or not!  


1 comment:

  1. I love that Lady Gaga slide deck. :) Wait till I post the lesson on Google Drawing and you can use that to create your logo. Great post and goals for next year. You do so much already, I am always in awe of your energy.

    ReplyDelete