Saturday, January 13, 2018

Thing 3: Twitter and other Online Communities

You had me at TWITTER!  I have made more CONNECTIONS, gathered more IDEAS, and been more INSPIRED via my network on Twitter than any other network. 

I like the wider audience for insight, ideas, and perspective.  I've expanded from local and librarians to legislators and authors and thought leaders and entrepreneurs.   I add many and drop some but don't ever feel "victim" to Twitter.   It works for my lifestyle and way of thinking.  I use Tweetdeck to manage several feeds and find that useful (necessary) when I join Twitter chats.  

My only complaint with online communities is that I'm getting SO much out of them, sometimes (more often than is likely healthy), it's hard to walk away.   I've grown into a healthy relationship with them and feeling less tethered and equally inspired.

  • Twitter is my FAV for learning and sharing on the professional end.  Some personal gets added as well, but it's about a 80/20 split-work/personal.
  • We created a hashtag for our school (#esmpgproud) to get the word out about our community under one tag.  
  • I like to promote the wide range of what is going on in/through our library to the greater community (reading, tech, leadership, programs, flexible spaces, collaboration) 
  • I use Facebook for NYLA-SSL and other library communities. My personal Facebook community is more for sharing of photos, life, upcoming events at school, and general keeping in touch.  
  • I've added Instagram (work- @PineGroveLib and personal @kowalski423) to my toolkit and finding it especially helpful for school as I can provide a quick media snapshot of life in and through the library AND many students have started following so I can promote/celebrate via this feed. 
  • Next up SNAPCHAT...but I still need to learn more there.
  • Also want to better master "stories" as not using those to capacity either (so say my students).  
Just tried a PAPER.LI paper.  Link here!  (did a middle school focus)

2 comments:

  1. You are definitely a twitter master! You share such great content. I'm challenged by snapchat. Tried it a few times and since I don't have many teens in my life, I figured it was one I could drop. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. great paper.li! Hope you've shared that far and wide.

    ReplyDelete